I’m pretty proud of this beer. The aroma is fantastic and flowery, the color is rich with amber hues, and the taste is incredible. You can’t see from the picture but the head of the beer after first pour was magnificent too. All this is wonderful but what makes me most proud of this beer was the fact that I picked out my own ingredients, added them in my own pre-determined ratios, and waited two and a half weeks before finally cracking one open. Prior to making this beer I used a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit that practically spoon-feeds you everything you need for your first batch of all-grain home brew. This is nice for people who don’t want to venture out and experiment with choosing their own things, but I’m the kind of person who is DIY enough to want to choose my own ingredients and here it worked out quite well.
The sad thing is this was only a one-gallon batch and my final output was only eight bottles of beer. This is the reason I’ve stepped up to three-gallon batches now; it doesn’t seem worth the effort to make home brews when you’re only getting about eight bottles of beer as output. I bottled my wheat beer recipe today so now I wait as it bottle conditions. With the wheat batch I made three gallons worth and my final output turned out to be 31 bottles! Now THAT seems worth the effort.
If you’re interested in making either one of these batches, check out my recipes in my previous posts. Bottoms up and enjoy a great home brew!